Saturday, January 23, 2010

E-readers are causing me an E-headache...

I'm a tech geek, I admit it. I love new gadgets, but usually don't buy them until I know they're at a point where I'll really get use out of them. Just an example, my first iPod was a 5th Generation iPod Video.

I've been on the fence about e-readers and e-books until about a week ago, when it was pointed out to me that its completely legal to get digital versions of out-of-copyright publications for free! That means many classic books like Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, and others are completely free. Say free books to a reading addict like me and watch me run!

The sticking point is deciding what e-reader is best for me. Amazon's Kindle is the market leader, but quite frankly I think its an ugly little device. Add to the fact there there is no slot in the new Kindle for a memory cards, and I get highly annoyed.

Barnes and Nobles Nook e-reader looks cool, but its expensive and I don't know enough about it to make a real opinion yet. I've never even seen one in the real world. Its pretty, and has both the e-ink screen for reading, and color touch screen for navigation. I've heard there are some software glitches though.

And then Sony has several e-readers, one is very cheap compared to the others at $199...the problem is that it's Sony... and after how badly Sony has mucked up marketing the PS3, I'm sure their reader won't even read a simple PDF. (Something that thankfully, the Kindle now does)

Opinions on ebooks or reading on one of these devices? Feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment