Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The iPad, and why I may break my rule regarding buying new tech

So the cat is out of the bag, and Apple has finally announced the iPad, their long awaited tablet computer, e-reader, media platform.

I have to admit, after the initial excitement of seeing the beautiful device, a bit of letdown set in. Some of the rumored features weren't included, and for all intents and purposes the thing is giant iPhone or iPod Touch. This isn't a bad thing, I was just expecting something...more original from Apple.

Having had ime to think about it, I'm starting to lean towards getting iPad when it first come out, despite my unspoken rule of waiting until a "second revision" of all new tech to fix initial bugs and issues. Why am I doing this? Quite frankly, the iPad fits the kind of stuff I would use it for much better than a Kindle or any other device that is out there would.

The main reasons is e-magazines and digital comics. These are thing that wouldn't translate well on a greyscale screen, and the iPad would be perfect for. While games, web browsing, and apps like iWork are nice, for me the ability to read Kindle books (with the iPhone Kindle app), and being able to see magazines and digital comics in full color are advantages I can't over look.

Access to AT&T hotspots are nice, but I would be MUCH happier if i was able to use my existing data plan with the thing. But that's an AT&T issue, not an Apple issue...

So, in short come March I'll be dropping $600 on an iPad....and likely won't regret it a bit!

1 comment: